Friday, April 15, 2016

Phase Six: Democracy is Dead

I responded to Eddy Castillo's post, titled "Voting for a man you hate?"

While I see where you’re coming from with your perspective, Eddy, I must respectfully disagree. Manteuffel is suggesting that retracting her potential vote for a candidate she truly believes in will prevent Donald Trump from gaining the votes he needs to win the nomination.

How does this make sense? Imagine I am an avid Bernie Sanders supporter, and I see that Donald Trump is leading the Republican party by a lot. In this situation, should I do anything that I can to stop him from winning the nomination -- which, by the way, is entirely inevitable at this point -- and give another Republican my vote? Or would it perhaps be a better option to ignore the stigma that “Democrats don’t stand a chance” and actually cast a vote for a person I believe in?

It is not only naive to believe that a singular vote in most parts in the United States will sway the nomination far enough from Trump, but nonsensical to vote for a candidate one does not believe in. “Vote for someone you despise” is a dangerous idea to experiment with, and it would be safer to vote for someone whose politics you stand behind. Tim Shea suggests that the two-party system the States are so insistent upon enforcing in a less-than-democratic manner is convoluted. Democracy is no good if its people do not take advantage of their right to vote for whom they choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment